Cabbage rolls made easy and tasty. Great to freeze for another day too. Simple ingredients.
2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
4 cups water
2 large heads cabbage
1 cup water
2 onions, chopped
3 tbs butter
3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
1/2 pound pork sausage
4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1 (26 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, with liquid
8 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a medium saucepan cook 2 cups rice according to package directions.
- Remove the core from the cabbages
- Place 1 cabbage in a microwave proof container with a lid with core side down.
- Pour 1/2 cup water into the container with the cabbage, cover and microwave on high for 10 minutes.
- Turn cabbage over and cook covered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Let cool handle.
- Cook second cabbage the same way
- Separate leaves carefully, removing any hard or tough ribs.
- Saute half of the onions in 3 tbsp butter and cook until tender, not browned.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooked and uncooked rice, cooked and uncooked onions, ground beef, pork sausage, garlic, salt, black pepper and sugar and mix well.
- Spoon about 2 tbsp of mixture onto each cabbage leaf. Bring one end of cabbage leaf over mixture, roll and tuck ends in to prevent any filling from falling out.
- Using two baking dishes (9x13) place some left over cabbage leaves in bottom of each.
- Place cabbage rolls in a single layer tight against each other.
- In a food processor or blender combine tomato soup and tomatoes.
- Pour mixture over the cabbage rolls until just covered.
- Place 4 bay leaves on top of sauce in each dish.
- Cover each dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- Serve hot.