Simple and easy Lancashire Hotpot. Tasty and delicious served with favorite vegetables. Great leftovers the next day!
1 tbsp vegetable oil
12 ounces chopped onion
1 1/2 pounds cubed lamb meat (leg of lamb meat is best)
2 1/2 pounds potatoes sliced
2 tbsp fresh thyme - chopped
1 ounce butter
2 cups chicken stock
- In a larger pan heat oil over medium high heat.
- Cook onion until soft and slightly golden
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add lamb to pan and brown then drain
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Layer ½ of the potatoes in the bottom of a baking dish (9x13). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place lamb and onions on top and sprinkle with thyme.
- Cover with remaining potatoes, season to taste and along with a couple dots of butter.
- Pour chicken stock over all ingredients
- Bake in oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- If casserole is drying out while cooking cover with foil. If required you may also add more stock.