Pineapple Pork and Rice Casserole
Tasty dish that is so easy to make. Always a favorite.
4 pork chops - about 1" thick
2tbsp veg oil
1 onion chopped
1/2 green pepper chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup long grain rice
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 cups boiling water
14 oz can pineapple slices
1/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt
12 whole cloves
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Trim fat from pork chops and slash sides.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan.
- Brown chops on both sides then set aside.
- Add onion, pepper and celery to fat in pan and cook until onions are soft - about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and cook until the grains are a golden colour.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in water.
- Drain a half cup of syrup from the pineapple and add to the rice mixture along with chicken bouillon, thyme and salt.
- Stick two cloves in each pineapple slice and set aside. Turn into a two quart casserole that is wide enough to hold the chops in a single layer.
- Place the chops on top, cover tightly and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until the rice is puffed and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Uncover and place pineapple slices on top of the chops.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar, dot with butter and drizzle with remaining pineapple syrup.
- Return dish to 350 F oven and cook until fruit is heated through and slightly glazed.