Homemade onion bhajis are simple, quick and well worth the effort to be served with your favourite Indian meal. Serve with delicious Raita.
2 larger onions
1 cup gram flour (chickpea flour works well also)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground tumeric
oil (for frying)
- In a bowl add flour, baking powder, ground cumin, and ground tumeric and mix
- Gradually add some water to create a smooth, light batter
- Cut onions into quarters and then slice about 1/8" wide strips
- Add onions to batter and mix well ensuring all onions are coated
- Heat about 1" of oil in a deep frying pan
- Using an ice cream scoop (preferably) or similar size scoop onion mixture and place in hot oil and fry until golden brown, turning once.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towel
- Serve on a platter and/or your favorite dish with delicious Raita