Three Cheese Bacon Lasagna
This lasagna is unique as it features bacon and 3 different types of cheese plus cottage cheese
2 cans (800ml) of diced tomatoes
salt & pepper to taste
4 tbsp olive oil
Italian seasoning to taste
½ lb bacon cut into 1-inch lengths
1 celery stick
1 green pepper
1 white onion
2 cloves of garlic crushed
400 grams of cheddar cheese
250 grams of mozzarella cheese
100 grams of parmesan cheese
500 grams of cottage cheese
100 ml cream
- Empty both cans of tomatoes into a large sauce pot and place on low heat.
- Add salt, pepper, two tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning
- Simmer 2 hours
- Add in the chopped celery to the sauce
- In a separate sauce pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add chopped green pepper, onion and bacon on low heat and when cooked for 20 minutes and add to the sauce.
- Add cream and stir
- Simmer for another 2 hours stirring frequently
- In your lasagna baking pan place a small amount of sauce on the bottom of the tray. This will prevent the noodles from sticking to the pan and ensure they are cooked properly .
- Next place one layer of noodles at the bottom and avoid overlapping any of the noodles.
- Then with a straining spoon place a thin layer of sauce and spread it on top of the noodles
- Add a layer of shredded cheddar cheese followed with 1/3 of the cottage cheese.
- Place a good portion of fresh raw spinach. Don’t worry if it appears to be a lot, it will cook down.
- Add another layer of noodles on top and repeat adding sauce, then mozzarella cheese, cottage cheese.
- Add as many layers as you like, three should be sufficient
- Add the last layer of noodles and add a thin layer of sauce to make the noodles moist so they don't remain hard. Then add in the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Put your oven on to 375oC, cover the lasagna with aluminum foil and place into the oven for around 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes take off the foil and leave in the oven for another 10 minutes to allow the top to cook a bit more and especially to let the top layer of cheese to melt
- Turn the heat off and you can let sit in the over for another 5 minutes before taking it out. Of course use common sense to judge when your lasagna might be ready as it is about 1 hour cooking time.
You already rated for this recipe.