Simple, delicious and always a summer favorite.
4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
16 oz orzo pasta
1 1/2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 cup kalamata olives, pitted
12 oz feta cheese
10 oz fresh baby spinach, chopped
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil over high heat.
- Add the orzo pasta, and cook 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente.
- Drain well, and pour the orzo into a bowl
- Toss with the butter to keep it from sticking; set aside
- While pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Stir in the garlic, and cook until the garlic softens and the aroma mellows, about 2 minutes. Careful not to burn the garlic as it will become bitter.
- Stir in the basil, thyme, red pepper flakes, and pine nuts.
- Cook and stir until the pine nuts have toasted to a light golden brown.
- Stir the pine nut mixture into the orzo and add the olives, feta cheese, spinach, and lemon juice.
- Best served cold, but can also be served warm.
Trying adding fresh basil or fresh mint to give a whole new fresh flavour.