Mexican Tortilla Soup
Amazingly simple and easy to make and of course delicious. Very healthy and freezes well. It is sure to please everyone.
1 tbsp oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
4 cups chicken broth
398 ml can fire roasted tomatoes (try not to substitute)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
1 avocado (ripe)
1/2 cup mild cheese, grated
tortilla chip "strips"
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan
- Add onions and chopped chilli and cook gently until translucent, about 4-5 minutes
- Add garlic and cook for 1 additional minute
- Add chicken broth and fire roasted tomatoes
- Season with salt and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and add cooked chicken
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes
- To serve, place fried corn tortilla strips in bottom of bowl.
- Add soup then garnish with a few pork rinds, pieces of avocado, additional tortilla strips, shredded cheese and cilantro