Braised Lamb Shoulder
A very simple dish that truly impresses with great flavours with minimal effort
4-5 lbs Lamb shoulder
4-5 Vidalla onions cut into 1/8 pieces
10 Sprigs fresh thyme
24 Garlic cloves
500ml Red wine
Salt & pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Rub lamb with olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Place lamb in a heavy roasting pan, preferably with a heavy lid similar to a dutch oven
- Roast uncovered for 30 minutes
- Remove from oven and drain off and large amounts of fat or grease
- Reduce oven heat to 265F
- Add onions, garlic and sprigs of thyme
- Cover with lid tightly and return to oven for 4 ½ hours
- In a saucepan bring the wine to a boil over medium heat
- Remove the lamb from the oven and pour the red wine over the lamb.
- Return lamb to oven, covered and cook for another hour
- Remove lamb from oven and carefully place the lamb, onions and garlic on a serving dish and cover and set aside to rest.
- Depending on the roasting dish (you may want to us a saucepan), heat the wine juices on high and season to your liking with salt, pepper and chopped thyme.
- Pour over lamb and serve with your favourite vegetables